Other Considerations



Before a property can be let, there are several matters which the owner will need to deal with to ensure that the Standard Contract runs smoothly, and also that he/she complies with the law. We provide summarised information below. If you require further advice or assistance with any matter, please do not hesitate to contact us:


If your property is mortgaged, you should obtain your mortgagee’s written consent to the letting. They may require additional clauses in the Standard Contract of which you must inform us.


If you are a leaseholder, you should check the terms of your lease, and obtain any necessary written consent before letting.


You should ensure that you are suitably covered for letting under both your buildings and contents insurance. Failure to inform your insurers may invalidate your policies. We can provide information on Landlords Legal Protection, Rent Guarantee Cover and Landlords Contents and Buildings Insurance if required.


Bills and regular outgoings
We recommend that you arrange for regular outgoings e.g. service charges, maintenance contracts etc. to be paid by standing order or direct debit. However where we are managing the property, by prior written agreement we may make payment of certain bills on your behalf, provided such bills are received in your name at our office, and that sufficient funds are held to your credit.


Council tax and utility accounts
We will arrange for the transfer of Council Tax and Water to the Contract Holder. Meter readings will need to be taken by yourself, allowing your closing gas and electricity accounts to be drawn up. 


The inventory
It is most important that an inventory of contents and schedule of condition be prepared, in order to avoid misunderstanding or dispute at the end of the Standard Contract. Without such safeguards, it will be impossible for the Landlord to prove any loss, damage, or significant deterioration of the property or contents. In order to provide a complete Service, we will arrange for a member of staff to prepare an inventory and schedule of condition, at the cost quoted in our Agency Agreement.


What is a Standard Occupation Contract?

A standard occupation contract is a type of rental agreement between a Contract Holder or licensee and a private landlord in Wales. It is the agreement that most people who rent a home in Wales will have. A standard occupation contract is one of the occupation contracts that were introduced by the Renting Homes (Wales) Act 2016, which came into force in December 2022. A written statement of the contract must be provided to the Contract Holder or licensee.

© South Wales Property Investors & Lettings, 2023

Website designed and powered by AgentPro